Filing Form CA-7 Claim for Compensation

Jun 16, 2022 | FECA Resources

Form CA-7 is used by a federal employee to request compensation from OWCP for work-related injuries or illnesses. Keep these tips in mind:

It is helpful if this form is filed by the injured employee within 30 days of the date of injury, but this is not essential. 

It is important to ask for as you recover from your injuries if you are off work and do not qualify for continuation of pay (COP) benefits.

If you are receiving continuation of pay benefits, you should ask for Form CA-7 within 30 days of the continuation of a pay period.  It is helpful if the CA-7 is then submitted to OWCP by the 40th day of the continuation of a pay period.

Under the Federal Employees’ Compensation Act (FECA), Form CA-7 is used to request compensation for:

  • Requesting leave without pay while you recover from your injuries

  • To compensate you for other wage loss such as to make up for a change in pay if your injury requires a change in position that results in a lower pay rate.

  • To request payment for a Schedule Award.

How to file:

When filing for a Schedule Award, you can file your CA-7 along with your impairment rating report completed by your rating physician either electronically or by mailing both directly to OWCP.

At Meals and Tolar, we will take care of filing your impairment rating report electronically to OWCP and will notify you when this has been done.  However, it is your responsibility to ensure that your CA-7 has been submitted correctly to OWCP.

Take the Next Step

Contact Us to Help With Your Impairment Assessment
(270) 554-4820


We are inspired by the dedication of all federal employees and contractors in the support of our nation.  Allow us to help you get the most out of your EEOICPA, RECA, and FECA impairment compensation benefits.

Follow Us!

150 Brett Chase, Suite B
Paducah, KY 42003


© 2021 Meals & Tolar. All Right Reserved.